Sunday, December 16, 2012

Saturday in Santiago: Avenida Italia

What better way to spend a Saturday than strolling the trendy design area of Barrio Italia? It's located close to the Santa Isabel metro but it's a hidden gem.

My unfortunate answer: trying to get my house key copied. Why? Well, I lost mine. But you should know that to get into the house, you have to open a locked gate. So, I clearly had the keys in order to get into the house. Hiding somewhere only to be found when I make a copy from my roommate's keys. 

I headed to Lider (Wal-Mart's invasion into Chile) where there is a key copy guy. Of course, he didn't have the key he needed to make a copy. What?? Any other place close by? He says, "Maybe down Santa Isabel?" Maybe.

Since moving here, I realize that I find the place I need to be without using a map or reading directions. I head toward the metro station closest to the place, and miraculously find myself there. So, I figured I would meander the streets and find a place. You do know that 80% of businesses are closed on Saturdays, right? I was taking a big risk of even hoping to find a place.



But I did find a hip and hidden section of Santiago very close to my house! I'm anticipating more Saturdays in this classy shopping-restaurant district. 

A little restaurant with great outdoor seating
Like most of Santiago, the best of the city is hidden, off the beaten path and full of history. Barrio Italia is just that!

See the presents on the building? So cute!
When you walk through that entryway, you walk through an artfully designed hallway that introduces you to a few tiny stores of Chilean clothing designers, things for the home, baby clothes stores, and usually a little cafe with artesenal ice creams and yummy cakes. There are quite a few blocks lined with these buildings. Each street-side doorway led to colorful little shops and cafes.

With 2 or 3 small stores and a cafe, each building surprises you with fun, artsy finds! 
Hidden from the streets, my curiosity led me through the hallways and doors. I had a blast window shopping. As my first Christmas away from home, it is a weird feeling watching others spend tons of money on presents for others. It makes me think about how we spend, spend and spend money. When really, I want to spend, spend, spend time with my family and friends. 

On the outside, the building looks like an old, worn down front. Inside, color!  
The stores were FULL of people shopping for Christmas. There were Patagonia lotions and creams, art for the home, cute clothes and just lots of fun finds. If I were to decorate a home here, this is where you'd find me (and all my money).

It was about 80 degrees outside, and I was hot. 

Guess what I found? Gelato!
Apple-Basil artesenal gelato. YUM! 

Oh, wondering if I got a copy of the house key? NO! I even went on a run to the Costanera Center, the go-to place for ANYTHING you want or need. And there was no key copy place! At least I got a good run in. Because later that night, my roommate and I went to the uber-popular restaurant La Jardin to eat delicious stone pizza and drink a Mango Mojito. 



Overall, a great Saturday in Santiago! 


No comments:

Post a Comment