Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Best of Chile: Completos and PDA

Two things that should never appear in the same sentence. Completos and PDA in Chile are two culture classics that you can't escape.

There aren't words.


But yet, it is totally "normal" to see a couple going it at, in broad daylight, in the public parks throughout the city. I just haven't seen two attractive people, I seem to find the ones that make Married with Children seem classy. I wonder how Chilean film rates their movies for sexual content if this is what we see everyday, anywhere in public spaces? 

Lindsay was disgusted every time she saw a couple laying down on the lawn, making out or rolling around. She spotted this couple and immediately snapped a few photos, out of shock. Good eye, Linds. 

And the other cult classic here in Chile? The completo. Most Chileans rave about the completo or completo italiano and are proud of it. Ready? It is a long, skinny boiled hot dog on a hot dog bun that puts our hot dog buns to shame. Add 1 smashed avocado (palta) with lots of salt, chopped tomato and more mayonnaise than a person should ever eat. I'm disgusted just thinking about it.

I've got to be honest with you. When I studied abroad here in 2005, I never ate one (unless I don't remember…) and was here for six months. They look horrible. And so unhealthy. I like my greasy McDonald's hash browns a few times a year but this…this is another level. And I was here on vacation in 2010 and never ate one. Until today… 2 months into being here (again). 

If you need to eat cheaply in Santiago, then this is your unfortunate answer.


We took the plunge. Anthony Bourdain, did you?


She's shocked. By the way, we are drinking freshly made strawberry juice with crushed ice on an extremely hot spring day. Counters the heart attack we are chewing. 


Sisters stick together, so I had to take a bite. I avoided the mayonnaise like the plague. After one bite, I wanted to do a GNC cleanse for a week. 


The completo italiano. Get yours on the streets of Santiago, Pucon, Temuco, Valparaiso, anywhere in Chile. They are only 1.000 pesos ($2.00US).  Don't miss out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment