Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Reflecting: Refueling in Chile

Everyone asks, "Why did you come to Chile?" "Por qué estas aqui?"

Great question. For the first few weeks, I just soaked up the dancing, drinking, meeting new people and exploring the city. Now the question wakes me up at 8AM, walks with me to my English classes and simmers as I cook dinner.

Ever wonder if you are operating at your best? Last year, I tried to explain my burnt-out self to friends and family by saying, "I feel like I've given all my energy, there is only a little bit left in my toes. Nothing is filling that back up." Sure, I have my faith, absolutely fantastic friends that I miss everyday, a great new CrossFit gym, an inspirational church and the Rockies have been my playground for 3 years.

Just like with teaching, I need to assess where my energy has been and where I want it to be. Then, get there through discipline, determination and using my support systems.

At the end of last year, here's where I was:

"Burned Out." A free website told me what I already knew. That 35% felt like 19%. 


This morning, sitting with my Nescafe on the patio?

So, in the spirit of my rejuvenation and refueling, I'd like to thank a few people that kept me afloat last year when I wanted to walk out. 

Note: my usual sarcasm is definitely paused as I genuinely want to shout-out how much you mean to me. When I see you all, you all will get bear hugs and lots of love from me :) 

@my parents: You define supportive and unconditional love. Me heading to Chile (again)? Not exactly what you dreamed and planned for when I was a wee-tot. But you trust me and are still loving me. Thank you!

@Laura - We became friends when we both were at our most-stressed and least-energetic times in life. Then, you recognized that I wasn't myself last year and handed me an opportunity to rejuvenate. This year would not have been possible without you! Can't wait to celebrate love and friendship in Arizona with you and Seba in June! 

@Emily - coffee, scones and nights out in LoDo scratch the surface. You are honest, thoughtful and genuine. The shock on your face when you learned that I don't have a 5 or 10 year plan even scared me into action (even though I can't brainstorm in straight lines). Can't ask for a better roommate turned lifelong friend! 

@Kathleen - You are the only friend that 100% pushed me to go to Chile. Then there's the Bloody Marys. Gourmet Food. Bachelor. Whiskey and Hot-tubs. You scare me the way you walk with knives in a kitchen but damn, we make good food! Can't wait to drink beer and dance in the mountains to celebrate your wedding! 

There are SO many other friends to appreciate and celebrate. @SarahL, @KatieA, @MeganC, @MeganL, @Allison, @Katherine, @Ashley, and @SkiHouse.


- Un abrazo grande desde Chile

No comments:

Post a Comment