Friday, December 14, 2012

Guns and Reactions to US Violence While Living in Chile


Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Luke 12:7 


The unfortunate and horrific tragedy that occurred in Connecticut is yet another slap in the face to the US culture, heavily influenced by the stupidity of the gun lobbyists and the government. I usually don't share my politics, and don't really want to. But today, in the face of yet another shooting at a school that took the lives of children and adults, I can't keep my anger or sadness inside.

Guns are an unnecessary social status in the United States. Why is it socially acceptable to own a gun? Why do people living in a city or a town feel the need for a gun? Do you hunt your food? Then have a hunting rifle or bow and arrow. A semi-automatic gun or whatever they are called have one purpose: to inflict harm on a human being.  We are the only species that kill each other. 

Why did I leave the United States? Why did I want to live abroad? 
Our culture is messed up. I couldn't think straight when I was numb to school shootings, kidnappings, murders, gang violence and rappers swearing and putting down others. At CrossFit one day, there was a freaking shoot-out in front of me. We witnessed a guy shoot a woman's hand. WHAT. That is NOT a memory I wanted. 

Want to know something? I was numb to the Colorado shootings. Why? Because that day I ate a normal breakfast, I probably went for a run, and checked my email. Sure, I called friends from work to find out of we had students or staff at the movie theater that night. I sent emails out to colleagues, begging for information that our kids were not there that night. But, I did not go comfort the families or see if I could help in some way. I went to bed that night the same person that I was that morning. I'm ashamed by that. I don't want to live with that lack of feeling to such a terrible tragedy. 

Living Abroad
I'll never forget when 3 Australians asked me, "Will we get shot if we go out in Miami?" We were sitting at a restaurant in Santiago, Chile and I had to explain why they'd most likely be okay. When I was living in Phoenix, I remember waiting in line to pay for gas and seeing a man fuel his car with a gun on his waistband. I immediately became uncomfortable. So, someone might be carrying a gun when you're at a club in Miami. If they have a license to carry, and if the state allows for concealed weapons in public places…. 

Want to check your state gun laws

Chileans don't have school shootings. There aren't problems with guns or news reports of gun violence. When people have asked me about the Aurora shooting this year - and now about the elementary school - they are stunned, speechless. I see more concern in their faces than in my own "patriots." What is humanity if we don't see that our uniqueness is what makes each person valuable and necessary? 

What's the worst that could happen here? Someone will steal your iPhone out of your hand. Chileans grieve for the families that lost their loved ones. They want to know WHY? HOW? WHAT IS GOING ON UP THERE? 

So do I. 

My faith in God and trusting in his strength is what has comforted me in the past and will continue to do so. He made every person irreplaceable. Let His Word bring you comfort. 

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God


No comments:

Post a Comment