Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sundays in Chile

It's raining today. And grey outside. This Colorado girl wants to stay in bed, snuggle, and eat hot soup. Did a few of those this weekend… 

No local shops are open. Buses are close to empty and streets are eerily quiet. When it rains? Parks are empty and families are huddled around marrequeta bread, tea and nephews and cousins playing inside.

What if you are a foreigner, with no Chilean family? What do you do? Drink. No question... let me get a bottle of Carménère.

Home, with plans not until 9PM birthday bash at the local California Cantina with some gringos y Chileans, of course I thought about cooking. Or baking.

Since my pantry is quite small - what do I make?
see the 3rd shelf down, wood basket? 5 things to the left of that basket are mine

Ideas? Didn't think so. I headed to the local Wal-Mart-owned grocer (UGGHHH - THEY are in Santiago!?!?!?) despite the potential for a downpour. With no umbrella, I was hoping I had luck on my side. After all, I did find a lost earring today! I was on the metro Friday night and realized I only had 1 earring in. Fashion faux-pas! Turns out, the other one was stuck in a different sweater that I threw on today. Earrings are back together! It's going to be a great day!

Escaping the rain by minutes, my new industrial kitchen became my home for the next 2 hours. This is the place to meander slowly, like a Chilean walking on a sidewalk.


You might be wondering what that lovely yellow bundle of joy is cooking in the pan. It's a quinoa-corn griddle! Sunday, nothing to do and fome weather outside means I have an excuse to cook something new!


Make some quinoa in a pot. Chop an onion or a few scallions, whisk an egg, grab some frozen corn and unthaw it. Throw it in a bowl with a little bit of flour, milk, pepper and some hot sauce (or, red hot pepper en polvo).

My workspace is a little different here in Santiago. I LOVE my new wood countertops and see that industrial oven? Hello pizzas, flat breads, muffins, cookies… baking is going to be SO fun with you. This kitchen is HUGE for an average Chilean home. They've got these tiny, tiny gallery kitchens that remind me of small New York kitchens.

Side note, knives in a shared house just aren't as sharp as you want 'em. I'm getting used to doing a little prick, then slicing and dicing. At least in Chile, you can buy knives, lighters and tobacco papers at the same spot. So convenient. 


I faced a big fear this week and I OWN it now.  This stove top is gas. Gotta light it with a match every time you want to cook. Light gas on fire. 

Light gas on fire. Did you hear that? 


I actually had a nightmare the other night that I turned the gas on first, then light the match and my face burned up. This beautiful blonde gringa face - a melted mess. This actually almost happened. Swear.  The trick? Light the match first, put it over the gas holes where you know the fire will be lit. Turn the gas on and BAM.

No big POOF of fire because gas is escaping. MOM - I have street smarts, after all! I can light a stove!!! No more fancy buttons for this lady. I've got legit fire under my pans & a fire in my soul, call it Latin passion. I can even put peppers straight on stovetop for some charred red peppers. YUM. I think I will do that this week.

Side note. Bought some flour today to make the quinoa-corn griddles. Guess what flour is used for? BAKING. Be ready, folks. Chilean pastries - will be mastered by the time I am states-bound.


Missing my weekly kitchen adventures with Kathleen… maybe I'll make a Chinese duck with you in mind, or that ridiculously amazing roasted whole chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment