Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Soccer in Santiago: liga de damas

Joined a soccer league!

All girls, we wear white and purple and play a short field - thank goodness because we don't have any subs! First game of the season and our team photo before the game was great. I've got no soccer socks and the shinguards are made for kids. But, the photographers and official said that we are the most beautiful team. Holler!

If you knew me in high school, I started playing junior year and played defense. First day I didn't know how to pass the ball and definitely couldn't shoot anywhere near the goal.

Yesterday's game? I had about 10 shots on goal BUT I didn't score. AH! SO FRUSTRATING. If you knew me in high school, you knew I was extremely competitive and play to win all the time. Not to brag, but the official, árbitro, came up to me after the game and said, "eres extraordinaria" That was very nice of him.

One of the girls on the team played with the Venezuelan team. Yeah. We are going to be a force at the front, adelante. She's a smarter player than me so hopefully she'll help me gain some control and field-smarts up front. I want to score a goal or pass to Paula to score a goal!!!!!!

But, I am most proud of the fact that I understand the girls on my team. One of the girls finally realized that I was a gringa after a few minutes of chatting. Spanish lessons while playing a sport? How can life get any better?

just don't know if the language on the field is language of damas….I understand the garabatos

In case you want to come to a game, Monday nights. In Las Condes somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment