Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Saturday in Santiago: A new running group!

Running in Santiago has been fun! Check out all the places I've been running! 


A few running routes in Santiago, Chile
My favorite is America Vespucio Sur because it is quiet, has cool statues of famous dead people and has really weird boldy-colored exercise equipment that looks like a McDonald's playground for adults. And, its a dirt running path that goes forever! 

But, I like to have the option to run with a friend. Unfortunately, my good friend Katie can't leave Denver to come to Santiago for a Saturday morning run followed by an omelette and diner coffee.  So, I needed to start the search for a new running buddy. 

Running buddies are hard to come by. How do you find someone that runs an equal pace, wants to run between 8K and 20K on any given weekend morning, and thinks its normal to stop at a gas station to use the bathroom during a long run. We are each other's therapy AND get to experience the runner's high together.

Ever hear of Hash House Harriers? The slogan: 
"The international drinking club with a running problem." 

Hell yes. A run and a few beers, sounds like a great Saturday afternoon! I thought I'd go for a 5 mile run, have a few beers and make some new gringo friends. So, I signed up with expectations of running slower than normal so I could be social and meet some new people. 

And, here's what happened. 


How does Hash work? 
  • You run the streets, looking for piles of flour. Yes, flour. When you see the pile you yell, "NON" or something like that. That pile marks the trail! So, if you aren't careful, you'll just be running on your own with no group and no sign of beer :( 
  • Normally, there is a beer stop on the run. My first day? No beer! 
  • The flour piles can be on light posts, fences, sidewalks, trees, or construction cones. You'll find 3 successive piles to know you are on track. Anywhere. Sometimes, they are hidden. Sometimes, the trail hare (the person that places the flour) likes to deceive you and put 1 pile in the wrong direction. 
The best part is after the run. Think you know how to tailgate or survive at a keg party? You might not make it at a Hash. These people can DRINK. We circled up and an hour later I was tipsy. 
  • If you are new, come to the middle of the circle. Drink 
  • If you are American, come to the middle of the circle. Drink. 
  • Got new shoes on? Come to the middle of the circle and pour your beer into your shoe. Drink. YEAH. That really happens
Cups and cans of beer are readily available. Sarcasm is at its finest. Songs with lyrics too inappropriate for me to publish (..I know, right?) were sung to cheer on the chugging. I can't wait to go back for Hash #2. After 5 Hashes, you get a stage name and it is totally inappropriate, sexually inspired and used by men that are my dad's age. Awkward and inspiring at the same time. Most of the group are expats from the States, a few Aussies, some Brits and not too many Chileans. 

Coming to visit me in Santiago during a Hash? Don't bring new running shoes but bring your college drinking spirit. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment