Sunday, March 24, 2013

Visit Chile… and Stay

Chile has a way.  

And if you walk this way with an open mind and compassionate heart, you may just blurt out, "Yeah. I WILL be back here," or "It doesn't feel right to leave. I don't want to leave." 
slack line at Paradise Pucon
7 Weeks of travel in middle Chile & northern Patagonia and you'd think, "Time to move on." Not even close. Jumping off cliffs into crystal clear rivers, eating mussels the size of my face, surfing one day and kayaking through a dead forest at dawn the next, then eating plums from our backyard tree and cooking with zucchini and parsley that we snagged from our organic garden. What? Is this real?  

Kelsea, me and Sarah at Rio Turbio en Pucon
I've got 2 fun, loving and smart friends. We've supported each other through big life decisions, belly laughed while floating down a river and danced til 5AM. I couldn't ask for more adventurous, caring and liberated friends.

Tobogan Waterfall & natural slide rock with our guide, Cochelo
Then you've got living history. Cochelo, our horse guide in Cochamo is a living legend. He & his beautiful horses know the valley better than I know the Quadratic formula (I know it too well). His genuine care for his horses, his land and the people that come to visit will comfort you and inspire you. How could I not ask him a million questions in 3.5 hours through Chilean rainforest on a centuries-old ox & horse path?

Best curanto, if you can't get to a real hole in the ground
Don't forget about traveling in style: black leggings, wool socks and a sort-of dress. I wore that outfit 20 times in 7 weeks (sorry, Mom). I may also toss that dress tomorrow I wore it so much. 



I've learned SO much on our trip (what trip? I'll fill you in soon). One important thing? A travel plan that is open for opportunities and not focused on a checklist is bueno. When the plan is about the people that love you, support you and care for you, it's a good plan. A plan that has a checklist and is titled, "I Did It!" is not for me.

Say "Yes" when people ask you to go fishing. Tag along for a trek in the rain to a waterfall. Because at the end of the day, you get to eat fresh fish, go swimming in crystalline teal-colored rivers and smile.

Because "Yes" this is real life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment