Sunday, March 24, 2013

Travel in Chile: Cochamó Valley

Words cannot describe the beauty of this Valley. Pictures don't capture the enormity of the granite walls, the depth of the forest and the songs of the neon-green birds. Climb, hike, swim, slide through waterfall slides, read a book and marvel in the beauty of where you are. 
The bright green moss grows in every little crevice and the endless forest is full of dinosaur-age trees. Beautiful neon green birds sing and dance through the Valley. The water in the river is SO pure I still can't believe it is real. I really couldn't stop staring & marveling at the purity of the water. No bottled water is that pure. f

It's a paradise that takes 3.5 hours on horseback or 5+ hours trekking to get to. When it rains, it floods so don't think you are going in or coming out when rain is coming. We got lucky with clear blue skies and warm weather. Even our trek out was not so muddy. Apparently, the mud can be knee deep. GROSS. 


The Valley is raw and pure. It's sexy and classy. And when you are alone at the top of a mountain, with no one else around, what else do you do? Scream!? Jump around! Be silent and listen to the potential energy of all that rock, those million-year-old trees and the birds. 


See the little green patch of grass? That's the Refugio & campgrounds. The campground holds up to 200 people during the peak weeks of the season. In mid-March, maybe 20 people were camping?  


I went for a solo hike, to Amfiteatro. All alone for a few hours in the forest but not alone at all. What I am about to tell you will make you think I am uber-hippie, cheesy and simple minded. But its deeper than that. I felt so raw, exposed and happy everywhere: in the forest, in the water and at the Refugio. 

Being out there with just the birds, sleeping spiders and an occasional salamander gave me the sense that I am a visitor in their home. I've never thought about my place in nature as much as I have here. 



The 360 degrees of gorgeous mountain peaks and pure, undeveloped nature have captured me. I'll go back. Climbing up the rocks and walking through the alerce and bamboo forests is tough work but incredibly rewarding and without a doubt, humbling.

Cochamo is more than a place where the sun shines happier. The pebbles and water show us how to live in harmony a bit clearer and the strength and gentleness of the trees and rocks teach us patience and purpose. Find your way to Cochamo!


No comments:

Post a Comment