Sunday, April 29, 2012

From this hour, freedom!


I want to take you, my friends, back the the beginning. Back to where this online indulgence began. Walt Whitman gave us, "Leaves of Grass," in the late 19th century. When Ashley, my lovely sister, introduced me to this poem at Christmas a few years ago, I felt chills and I cried as I read the poem in its entirety.

Change Course.

I bought a ticket to Santiago, Chile on Friday night. After my first drink of the night, I grabbed my new zero-fee international credit card and booked the round-trip flight that has taken over my dreams, both day and night. I clicked "submit" 3 times and FINALLY saw that the flight had been confirmed. I am really going to Santiago for 8 months!

Walt says it best in "Song of the Open Road" ~

From this hour, freedom!
 
From this hour I ordain myself loos’d of limits and imaginary lines, 
Going where I list, my own master, total and absolute,  55
Listening to others, and considering well what they say, 
Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, 
Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me

and then again...

You shall not heap up what is call’d riches, 
You shall scatter with lavish hand all that you earn or achieve, 145
You but arrive at the city to which you were destin’d—you hardly settle yourself to satisfaction, before you are call’d by an irresistible call to depart,...

I love that I am taking a huge risk. I am terrified it will be a horrible experience. I am scared that I will be miserable and not make friends. I am shocked that I am walking away from a promising career at Denver School of Science and Technology. What am I thinking?

I am thinking that I thrive when I push my limits. And I haven't found my limitations yet. I know that with determination and self-discipline, I can set high goals and achieve them. I know that this life is about more than my selfishness. This may seem like an act of pure selfishness, but I feel convicted to go to Santiago. It is more than a silly dream or a fleeting thought. God has a big plan for me and I am just following his will.

Leave Colorado!? WHAT? No way! I love living here. I have developed great friends here that have become family. We support each other and we seek out ways to truly live life here in Colorado. These are also the same friends who are encouraging me to take this adventure, who want to visit, and who are willing to store my Colorado gear while I am gone.

As I struggled with balancing the zest for international travel and maintaing friendships, a good friend helped me see clearly. She said - 'You have been so blessed here in Colorado with great friends, great support, and a joyful life. Isn't it great to know that God has blessed you so much here? Imagine what he will do for you in Chile!'

What a great way to think about each chapter of our life.

I have been blessed. And will be blessed again through him. How will I glorify God in Chile!?



No comments:

Post a Comment