Thursday, April 5, 2012

Be Joyful!

"In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him."

Teach for America. Who would have thought? As a senior at Loyola University Chicago, I never thought about joining the education college. I never dreamed of managing 28 fifteen-year-old students as they punch the pi button on their graphing calculator. Who would have thought that I could take under-performing inner-city kids and have them reach grade level? I asked myself over and over again - who put me in charge?

The man upstairs. He sure does get his way. I ignored all the signs of reaching the covetous role as Ms. Karnowski, Room 135. Go back to high school? no way! I loved to play school with a elementary friend. I tutored a fifth-grade student in math when I was in high school. My  AP Calc teacher even told me I would be a math teacher one day.

Ever heard of the Amazing Race? What about the Amazing Spatial Race? That's right - we are going on a race with spatial reasoning. To win this challenge: be the first team back to home base (the classroom) with each clue and problem solved correctly.

You excited? So were all my freshman.

When the two year commitment with TFA was about to end, I had no idea what to do next other than move to a new city. Fortunately, I found a teaching position in Denver right away with KIPP. I told myself - you will know when you are done with this teaching thing. And leave. Don't stay because you feel obligated to the kids. There are some mean, old teachers wandering the halls of high schools across America - and I don't want to be one of those!

The time has come to hang up my protractor, retire the graphing calculator, and finally go to the bathroom whenever I want to!

I am terrified. A little nervous about what might happen next. And so excited to see God's plan for me reveal itself.

Santiago, Chile. Why? Been there, done that, right? Well, ever since I got back in 2005, and then again in 2010, I have been itching to walk its streets, develop a true sense of Spanish fluency, explore the mountains, learn and live its history and their hope. I hate the pollution and its a HUGE city.

I feel giddy when I image myself boarding the plane, going through Chilean customs, riding the subte, drinking great wine and meeting international adventurers that have found their way to the magic and mystery of a troubled nation. Economically, stable. Sociologically, deeply troubled and hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment