Friday, June 19, 2009

Inspiration for a blog


A few months ago my sister (on the right above) shared with me an amazing poem by Walt Whitman title "Song of the Open Road." The poem hit home with the way I hope to live my life. Because the poem meant so much to me it might explain the motivation behind a blog.....

AFOOT and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

This is only the first verse of a very, very long poem but it gives some insight. I've basically been floating among houses, roommates and cities for the past 7 years. I started in Chicago with Loyola, studied in Santiago, Chile, moved out to Phoenix for Teach for America and recently relocated to Denver, CO to open a new KIPP Collegiate High School. Michigan will always be close to heart because that is where I first stepped out onto the open road. The ease with which I move around stems from my passion for sound and inspiring people. It sounds a little cheesy but I love to float around and see who comes in and out of my life and try to figure out why. I think the purpose of this blog is in part informing my global friends and family of where I am physically but also holistically. There are going to be serious stories that come with the job, funny episodes that might have been retold to me through pictures and friends, and memories of the amazing people that have come into my life!

"I don't need a passport to walk on this earth,
anywhere I go 'cause I was made of this earth,
I'm born of this earth, I breathe of this earth,
and even with pain i believe in this earth
....faith in the people rockin' under the sun"
-michael franti

1 comment:

  1. Jacs, I LOVE this. Now I can know what are you doing every day! Gosh I miss you..... You are amazing :)
    Love,
    Beattie

    ReplyDelete