Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cutting Sheers

So today started a new era. I took some gardening sheers and whacked away at our front yard. The management company is supposed to take care of the landscaping. Lo-and-behold: Jaclyn has a green thumb! I went wild on those shrubs and trees. They were so overgrown (in my eyes) and I trimmed them to have some shape - in my opinion. The only time I have ever really worked in a garden was with my Mom when she had me distribute mulch on about a quarter of an acre of landscaping. So why did I choose to do this? Was it punishment or control over the landscaping? I am thinking beautification project.
The sheers were like weapons of destruction. I took out every unnecessary limb and branch. The thicker ones? Oh, I got them good. It was when the moths came out of their hiding places and the bees were a little upset that I was on their territory. No problem. I had the sheers. My roommates stood back in awe (or terror) that their new roommate was going to town on the shrubs and trees. I was so mad at this one tree that lines our front entry. It is more than 8 feet tall and it tilts because there is just too much there. So I wanted it cut. I was swinging that tree for a good 3 minutes trying to swing and get the sheers on the lonely, out of place branch. I cut all the limbs around that branch but could not get the darn branch. I need a ladder. That means I am getting serious about this gardening business. I might need to let the people that get paid do something.
I did see a pretty neat little spider - it had a neon orange body. Then for the next 2 hours I thought he was crawling around on my body. Yuck.
Tomorrow is a new day in the garden. The next big project is to empty a planter that has been the home of a big ant colony. I saw about 15 hunter ants so there are a lot. Not quite sure if my gardening gloves and hand-held shovel is going to be enough. The wheelbarrow just won't cut it - these ants are quick!
Let's hope I don't get stung, bit or swollen from the ants that called this their home.
This is my home now, beetles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment