Sunday, November 10, 2013

Saturday outside Santiago: Rio Clarillo

Sunny with a side of rushing water made for a spectacular day at Río Clarillo. It's a park just south of Santiago, in the suburb of Pirque - where the internationally known winery Concho y Toro was born.

To get there, there are micros and colectivos but we drove Súper Rojo to the park, paid our fee then found parking in the shade. My grand idea was to hike. Get to the top and be able to look into a green, lush valley. Pablo was along for the ride. Poor guy, he's dating a girl that lived in Colorado and lives for adventure when his ideal weekend is: sleep, and sleep a lot. Good thing he's a Boy Scout and with a little coaxing, he's right by my side.  
We went without knowing where to hike and at first, ended up smelling more asados than vegetation. It was great to see so many families enjoying the outdoors: grilling, swimming in the river and playing soccer. Do you think they'd notice if we joined in their party? No Chilean family is smaller than 30 people - they might think we're just another set of cousins! One day, I'll find the chutzpah to introduce myself as Pablo's girlfriend (true), because every Chilean family has at least one Pablo,  and start small talking. Being Chilean, they'll have to offer me a choripan and bebida. Let's just hope their Pablo is a single man under 70 years old!  


After meandering, we eventually found a hanging bridge and a trail map. We followed the well-marked trail and made our way to the lookout point for a clear view of the green valley and in the distance, the peaks of the Andes.  Bridges are fascinating, right? Someone designed and constructed a walkway over rushing water. You've got to have a deep understanding of geometric modeling, weight and movement conditions and the necessary suspension pressure.  If one calculation is off, that bridge could not hold you. Think about that the next time you cross the Mackinaw Bridge or San Francisco's Big Red. 


There's something calming and rejuvenating about being next to a river; it's like a shower for my soul and cleans out what's dusty and dirty, leaving me feeling like I'm shining bright like a diamond.  I feel most myself when I'm out there, me and Mother Earth. It's when I think most clearly, solve problems and project my path in life. Deep, no?  If you're wondering, I'm still searching for the meaning of living abroad and my purpose in life. In the meantime, I'll keep hiking. 


After hiking, we boulder hopped to a shady spot along the river to snack and reflect on life's big questions: Where should we travel next? How bad do you want to eat an empanada right now? 


If you need a day without hearing car horns, with clean(er) air and a place to swim - Rio Clarillo is a fabulous spot! There are plenty of BBQs and picnic tables with plenty of shade, lots of parking spaces and rocks perfect for soaking in the sun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment