Sunday, November 17, 2013

Saturday in Santiago: TRX in Parque Araucano

Why didn't I figure it out earlier that taking group fitness classes is such an effective method to learn Spanish! You are listening, copying kinesthetic movements and repeating them over and over. Wouldn't it be great to have Spanish and gym class as 1 class in high school? 

I recently joined a gym (finally!) because of its groups classes, small boutique feel and most important, location. It's a 4 minute jog from my place and can be quite entertaining. Something that rarely happens in the States but frequently is part of my sidewalk commute: catcalls; love it or hate it, it happens. There are days when I laugh about it and other days get me fired up, wanting to belittle them for whistling at me. Has anyone ever gone off on a Chilean man for whistling and hollering, or will I be the first?

Anyway, after my first TRX class I had trouble washing my hair for the next 3 days. I love that type of soreness, you can feel the fibers braiding together, creating stronger muscles. When do I get that beautiful tricep line to come back?  Even more important-  How many Spanish-speaking beefy men have led you through a sweat session?  

That's what I thought. The Spinning coach and the TRX trainer are both extremely fit, super nice and consistent at coaching you to get the most out of class. I'm hooked. After a class, the profe told me about a Saturday morning class he does at the park, the park you can see out my window. Outdoor exercise is 100% more motivating and enjoyable than being in a gym, so why not?

Our park is fabulous: there are tennis courts, basketball courts, space for futbolitos, a maze of paths for running and biking and some simple work-out machines. On occasion, I've seen workout groups and wondered how to join in without an awkward approach. Now, I get to be in the group!

My friend Stephanie was up for the challenge too so on a Saturday morning, with the sun shining but not yet too hot, we met the group at the tennis courts. As Fabian, the instructor, set up the TRX ropes to the tennis court fence we chatted about the upcoming 4-day weekend and fun girly stuff. But when it came down to class time, we put on our game faces. 

An hour later I was dead. I could already feel the tear and build deep in my gluteal muscles. PLEASE don't be broken today, elevator! 3 days later Steph told me she was still sore - and so was I!  Squats, 1-leg squats, some squat-jump move, and oh the floating planks and push-ups at the end were killer. The Y-move is so tough when you do it correctly. Fabian and Manuel co-lead the class, constantly commenting on form and position to make it tougher. You will leave sore, and wake up the next day sore.

skull crushers!
This second class we did was hilarious because 2 of the moves required lateral movements. With 6 people packed in close we had to move at the same time to avoid any bumping. But my neighbor either 1) doesn't know how to jump or 2) doesn't know left from right. She was silly.

It's a buena onda class, costa 3.000 pesos ($6US) for a TRX class in the open air. Come! And yes, it is in Spanish! Bring a water bottle and be prepared to leave with a solid new behind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment