Saturday, May 4, 2013

Fruit and Veggies in Chile

Today, I smiled blissfully as I calmly robbed the local fruit and vegetable market. With 6 plastic bags full and my shoulder losing feeling, I started the 10 minute walk home. No one ran after me. Wasn't I robbing them? It sure felt like it! 

My cargo: 

  • 4 big yellow onions
  • 10 avocados
  • 2 mangos
  • 2 bunches of fresh cilantro
  • 10 limes
  • 6 yellow/red peppers
  • 2 persimmons
  • 3 pears
  • 3 monstrous apples
  • 12 Roma tomatoes
  • A bunch of massive purple grapes
  • garlic
  • 4 goat's horn peppers
Guess how much I spent?    15.000 pesos = $30 US. Now don't you see how I felt like I was committing a crime? 

How much would that cost you at Whole Foods? At King Sooper's? Definitely more than $30!! 

Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo and after 2 years of living in Phoenix (aka Mexico), it's one of my favorite holidays. Refried beans. Tequila. Fajitas. Mole chicken. Taquitos. Churros. The joys of Mexican food! 

I'm going to try my best to represent Cinco de Mayo energy here in Santiago tomorrow. We are having a Mexican-themed Chilean asado with my USofA friends, French friends and Chileans. 

My contribution: the grill and rooftop space, margaritas and fixin's for fajitas

No comments:

Post a Comment