Monday, January 21, 2013

Punta del Este, Uruguay: La Barra

I pulled off a perro muerto today. Yup. I did it at the Crepes place in La Barra. What's a perro muerto? In Chile, it's what we say when you leave a restaurant without paying!

I don't even feel bad. The kid working took my order, then took the cute teenage girls' order - and they paid. I was still standing there, and waited for my Roquefort crepe and for him to take my money. Took the crepe and casually walked away. Just like in the movies, walk casually and don't attract attention. It worked!

My sandwich the day before cost $18 - chivito: a typical Uruguayan meat, tomato, lettuce, and egg sandwich. It should have cost $8 because of the quality and simplicity.

On that note- Punta del Este is Expensive. But not luxurious. The prices don't match the quality of the items food, clothes, beach chairs, drinks, or beachside corn on the cob.

There are people that sell dresses, towels and shorts on the beach. I checked out a dress and had a Price is Right $10 tag in my mind. Try $40. What?? Remember when you bought $2 jewelry in Mexico? You could do that 20 times!

I went out to eat with 2 girls from NY and ate deliciously! A gazpacho, entrecot (porter steak? The steak from between the ribs) and a bottle of red. Price is Right? $55 each!!!

Drinks on the beach? A Corona costs $8. Didn't drink that.

Would I go back to Punta? Yes. With lots more money, a sexy man at my side and blonder hair.







No comments:

Post a Comment