Friday, January 11, 2013

Hot Summers in Santiago

There is something distinct about Santiago heat that is more intense, hotter and more uncomfortable than anywhere else I've lived. And I lived in Phoenix, Arizonan for 2 years + 1 summer. I am working out what makes it different than the smoldering oven that is Phoenix, the sticky humidity of New York or the drowning heat of summers in Chicago.

And what do Chileans do when it is unbearably hot? Eat ice cream and gelato. It's insane. Almost everyone walking down the street at 3PM has a frozen treat. Just a guess, 1 in 3 Chileans eats an ice cream in January from 1PM to 8PM. Us gringos? 1 in 10. Do they know that isn't going to cool their body temperature down and only add centimeters to their waistlines?

typical: 3 kids. 3 ice creams

Could it be… 
  • We don't have air-conditioning? There's no where to escape the heat here! You heard that correctly. I take freezing cold showers here con ánimo.  
  • The Chileans say there's a very thin ozone layer above Santiago and the sun is stronger here. Is it true? 
  • We live in a concrete jungle.  When I run, my feet BURN! That damn pavement sizzles! 
  • I swear the days are longer here. The sun is up at 7AM, on full-blast and doesn't disappear until after 8PM. Maybe that hot Latin passion lights up the sun longer?
I was SO hot the other day, just walking around and enjoying a free afternoon, that I bought a super cute Chilean-made summer dress. Tried it on and wore it out the store. The Brasilian working the store thought I was a crazy girl. I love doing what I want here, no matter how crazy it is.  

There's a wind that cuts through the city and that is what keeps us alive here, hidden between the Andes and the ocean. A light breeze through bedroom windows, a cooling vent that rushes through the streets. The breeze is better than finding a $10.000 in my dirty shirts.

Girls still wear skin-tight pants and the men are in full business suits. It makes me uncomfortable to see people with so many clothes on. Take them off! Wear shorts or a dress! Plus, everyone is sticky-rice sweaty on the metro. How can it be professional to have everyone sweaty and sticky in a business meeting? It's an uncomfortable time to be in Santiago.

Heading to Santiago for January or February? Pack an air conditioning unit as a carry-on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment