Monday, March 22, 2010

Smile on my face :)

The seemingly random, small things in life happen to have the impact of an impeding avalanche. They just burst into my life and BAM! a smile is created. Maybe that is why I am annoyingly happy the majority of the time. I see the minute details of a day's events as the ones that count.

For instance, two weeks ago I bought a coffee grinder and French press. No more of this buying coffee at Dazbog or Starbucks. Or so I thought. I pulled out of my driveway (steep angle - this is important) and drove down the alley to the road, this is a full block, mind you. When I was about 1/2 block out of my alley, I reached for my beautiful green coffee mug. It was not there. Here is my train of thought that followed: Oh shit. Where is my coffee? In the kitchen still? Oh no. Oh no. laughter follows. a lot of laughter. I placed it on my trunk. REVERSE THE CAR! End of my thoughts. Where was the coffee? Spewing into the road, at the end of the alley. At this point, I was so impressed that the coffee mug had traveled down the driveway and the full length of the alley only to fall when I turned into the street. There it was, my freshly ground coffee that smells of fresh blueberry pancakes, seeping onto 16th Avenue. Oh, Monday mornings.


Small, seemingly random event #2:
The trees of China Bowl at Vail. I can't even begin to explain the sheer joy that I feel when I reach China Bowl. I don't ever need to go to China because my idea of China is defined by Vail's back bowls and it is wonderful. Well, maybe I'll still go to China someday but I think my image of China is going to be centered on the sharp curves around tightly packed trees. These trees grew knowing that a snowboard would hug their curves and allow boarders and skiers to use them as leverage on a narrow turn or as a base for resting when legs are burning up.
Let's talk about spring skiing. There is this thing called the sun. And it warms up the packed powder enough to make it mushy and like a pillow. Flying through that just makes my day. I hit up Eldora - it was alright through the tree runs, Vail (of course) and Breckenridge this weekend. "Breckenwind" was icy and not nearly as great as Vail. But it was a day of snowboarding and I got to practice riding goofy and hitting the rollers. I took a bad fall but it was SO FUN. Slip N Slide has NOTHING on cruising down a semi-icy groomer.
Breck, from the Peak 7 gondola:


#3. After a morning of snowboarding, I headed back to Denver where it was 65 and sunny. I ran about 4 miles in a tank top and t-shirt. This is my life and I am definitely in the right place. Gotta love it.
My house is always open to visitors... just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment