Friday, March 26, 2010

Dinner Parties

My not-so-secret Superwoman ability: throwing fantastic parties and playing hostess

I used to think that most climbers were assholes. Last night I was proven wrong. We had quite the climbing dinner party last night and I had a blast. Before the party began and I was prepping in the kitchen (more on the menu later) I realized I would not know the majority of people at the party. There is some sort of ethereal power that comes from hosting a party that inspires me to chat with as many new people as possible, making them feel comfortable and welcome in my house. Image a tree of happiness, shaking its leaves all over the party. I love that the good vibes of old and new friends, mingling and making new friends, permeates and energizes a room. That's a good get-together.

Is there anything better than the mixture of good friends, great food, drinks flowing and rockin' music?

Lauren is the baker and I played chef. Our dishes were flying off the platters. My new friend Ken cooked up some venison stew. YUM! As a Michigan girl, you would think I would have tasted such a thing before but I had not. Ken, the venison brought me back to my roots. I made some mini-burgers: turkey burgers with feta, serrano and cayenne pepper and chicken burgers (I know, right?) with mushrooms, serrano and feta. Those didn't make it from the platter I was carrying to the table. They were awesome. I think they were so good because so much love went into those little buggers. Plus the awesome apron I was wearing (thanks Tot). And Lauren, she amazes me. She made these chocolate cupcakes with a mocha frosting and a berry tart. All we had left in the kitchen this morning were a bunch of empty beer bottles. You know its a Colorado party when every single beer is a microbrew from Boulder, Ft Collins or Breckenridge. Wow. We should throw dinner soirees more often.

Sure, the food was a great component of the dinner party. And someone even commented that this was the best food he had had at a dinner party. Hell yes! But the people. The new friends I have made and continue to meet in Denver just amaze me. So many share the zest for life and exploration, being silly and laughing. Good times!

As we sat outside taking in the fresh Colorado air, I realized that I absolutely love Denver, Colorado. It is the perfect city for me. Why am I so lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment