Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Teaching English in Chile

Took a gig teaching an English taller for Colegio San Joaquin in Renca, Santiago. Familiar with Santiago? It's FAR. The mountain at the edge of the city that says, "Renca, la lleva" is where I am heading Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 - 5:30PM.

My Commute starts at A and ends at B. 

9th grade has 42 kids in ONE classroom. WHAT? And people in the US say 30 is too many in a class. 42 kids in the same uniform all with dark brown hair. Talk about disrespect. Talking. Bringing out a basketball (where did you have that!?), chewing gum, doing art homework in English class and not looking at the teacher when I talk. Is that what public school is like in the US, too?

First day and we had a heart to heart. Rule #1? If I am talking, you are silent. Silent is not equal to quiet.

First question I asked, "If you like Colo-Colo, stand up." WOW. So, they do understand a bit...

It made me miss DSST: Stapleton. For 90 minutes. 

Next? Off to 28 much calmer 10th grade students. We had FUN: playing Simon Says, interviewing each other in English, asking me questions to learn about me and then I'd give silly commands like, "If you understand me, touch your nose." or "If you understand me, put your head on the desk." They think head is hand. Guess they do sound the same.

Did I mention I already took a cell phone today? Some kid was texting in class.

Is this going to be work the 1 hour 20 minute commute?

But, it is fun because… they are crazy teenagers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment