Monday, November 26, 2012

Streets of Santiago


I walk everywhere. I did the math and I walk about 300 minutes a week. It's a lot, right?

 I walk to meet up with friends, to the La Vega for fruits and vegetables, to the metro or to the mall.

Walking the stairs in Valparaiso, Chile

You get it. I walk a LOT. About 15 - 18 miles in a week. So, what's it like to walk in a city of 6 million people? The better question would be, "How many times a day do you hear sweet nothings by men in the streets in a day?" Too many to count! 

"Que linda." "Eres muy guapa." "Que preciosa."  "Tu eres muy bonita."  "Linda. Bonita." "Eres una estrella." "Que guapa." 

linda = beautiful
preciosa = precious
bonita = beautiful 
guapa = pretty/beautiful 

Words aren't enough and some Chilean men believe noise will land them a sexy glance from their target. Whistling. Honking. Clucking - yes, like some sort of baby chicken noise.
Has it ever worked? Has a man ever gotten a flirty look back when he cackles at a woman walking down the street? Ever got a number?

The other day I was sweating. A lot. It was SO incredibly hot and my English classes are at lunch time -- my clients say it's their "coffee break."  A taxi driver stuck his head out the window like a dog with his nose out in the fresh air. Apparently sweating is sexy in Santiago. Who knew?

These two love to stick their head out the car window!!!
I honestly thought he was going to cause an accident. "Preciosa." "Linda." "Eres el sol de mi vida."

My roommate, Kelsea, laughs. And I laugh too. She put it well, "When I go back to the US, no one tells me that I'm beautiful and pretty in the street. We feel so gorgeous here. I can go to the fruit market in my pajamas and get attention." 

American Boys: This is your permission to tell Kelsea and me that we are beautiful when we are in the States.

That day, it was just too much. I was sweaty, hot and thirsty and walking to an English class. He almost caused an accident. It's absolutely hilarious. What did I do? I flipped the bird.

Twice that day! Can you believe it? I was so over being called gorgeous, beautiful and pretty that I flipped off two different men - both in cars.

Why is this hilarious? Because nothing actually will happen. These men whistle, whisper positive thoughts and are not shy when checking me out. And they keep walking to wherever they were headed before crossing paths with me. Maybe I'll smile, say gracias or shake my head in disdain. There isn't a fear - like in Chicago - of walking home and being assaulted or raped. Well, there is a growing fear of crime but actual crime stats are not growing.


My lovely and oh-so-great friend Lindsey was visiting me for 10 days and we went to the fish market. Think: Pike's Peak in Seattle but less commercialized and developed. The fish gutter told us we were the most beautiful girls, muy hermosas, and I finally said (in Spanish), "Sorry, you aren't the first one to tell us that today. But, thanks anyway."

His fellow fish gutters thought that was pretty funny. So did we.

Lindsey was in shock the whole time she was visiting me. The catcalls were more culture shock than the Chilean lack of fashion, the tasteless food or the very, very public displays of affection.

In the last 10 days, we were cackled at/whispered to/honked at:

- by a 10 year old boy driving shotgun with his dad
- by at least 5 cars in the streets of Santiago
- walking to the bus station in Pucon, in sweatpants
- sweaty, walking through downtown Santiago
- at the fish market, by the fish gutter
- by the Turiskit guy who said, "You make impressions on me."
- stared at by the candy-seller on the beach in Viña del Mar but we were guarded by a street dog that honestly guarded us by barking at the jerk and circling us. #lovestreetdogs





No comments:

Post a Comment