Friday, June 11, 2010

leading wherever you choose....

As I prepare for my summer trip, I am thinking about all the wonderful pieces of Denver that I will miss this summer. Weird, I usually love to leave the city for vacations. But I never want to leave Denver. There are always 10 things to do in a day.

Nevertheless, I am STOKED for this trip. I studied abroad in Santiago in 2005. Ever since I left, I have wanted to return. Luckily, my friend Liza mentioned a South American adventure and that was all I needed. She barely finished her thought and I was on board for 35 days of traveling through 3 (maybe 4) countries this July.

Why do I love the memory of South America so much?

I learned patience and I learned humility from the people of Santiago. I also saw the value of family life and taking care of each other with no questions asked. My host family took me in and I was instantly a daughter, sister, cousin and niece.

There was no clock in our house and I distinctly remember Day 1 and freaking out because I didn't know the time. By the time I left Chile (no pun intended :) I was living on South American time. No time. Take the moment and live in it and allow life to move you like waves move in the ocean. I still don't wear a watch. My sister is the planner and she is punctual and likes to plan based on time. I think she gets frustrated with me because I don't see time like she does. love you Ash

One more thing. The Andes mountains remind me of how small I am in this world. Sure, the Rockies are big. But the Andes engulf you and protect you. They stand majestically like the guards at Buckingham Palace - fierce and picture-perfect.

Look for photo uploads and stories of bus trips, great eats and new friends.

1 comment:

  1. I hate time! Ugh, it such an unnecessary constraint sometimes :) Have a great trip Jacs! I'll look forward to seeing the pictures....

    ReplyDelete