Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Northerner

Although I am from Michigan, I am not talking about summers in northern Michigan, our wet summers and winters and extreme storms in the spring in fall. I'm also not here to brag about the Detroit Tigers or the infamous Lions.

This was week #1 at KIPP: Knowledge is Power Program. I moved to Denver to teach algebra at the new high school we are opening as a team. It is pretty daunting and exhilarating. At a lot of work places, there comes a day when the employees are asked to take a survey and discover their leadership styles. Well, the whole staff participated in an activity that revealed our leadership styles. The compass served as a beautiful analogy; there are always other forces working in all directions. Even at (0,0) there is a sense that all four directions are at play. The catch is that I had to pick one (north, south, east, west) direction that seemed to resonate with me.

In short, I am a northerner. I make decisions quickly and without hesitation, I would rather get the work done myself than delegate if I am unsure of others' ability or willingness. I thrive on challenges and new projects, seeing them through. I like the bottom line. I can be perceived as cold, aggressive or impatient. Got it. However - east was a close second. East was all about seeing a vision and the bigger picture, setting the details down but then moving onto the next project before the first was completed. It was about making sure there is meaning behind a decision and other perspectives were considered. It sounded nicer. I also totally relate to losing track of time - those easterners have no idea when the sun is coming up or going down.

Let's just say I am not South. Think opposite of north; the south is how I learned patience. I recognize that patience is a work in progress.

Many times these leadership style activities allow co-workers to see the other side and recognize why some people are easier to work with than others. Our school - and its staff - is using this knowledge and keeping it in the forefront of our thoughts as we discuss and make decisions regarding the opening of a new Denver public charter high school.

Question - as a young or experienced professional, how does your leadership style impact those around you? Where has your leadership taken you?
How can the opposite direction sometimes be the most sensible and right?

How much does your internal compass direct you?

No comments:

Post a Comment